Wednesday 6 June 2007

The Rain in Spain

Well, I managed to survive the rigours of the exploratory trip to Spain, and discovered that walking is done pretty much the same over there as it is here. At least it confirmed my best foot forward theory, but I failed to gather any useful tips which may work to my advantage. I did have time however, to practice my old evening class "espanol". My first task, was to get something for a headache. My first mistake, was confusing the word "bodega" for the word "farmacia". Having said that, the 7 glasses of Rioja did get me a headache so it was a partial success. At least that took my mind off the awful weather prevailing for the first few days of the trip. Sadly it did mean more drinking.......a lot less walking. One important fact I did bring home from the tour of the Tio Pepe Sherry factory was that it has a limited shelf life once opened. So it seems you are never too old to pick up snippets of mind numbing trivia with which to bore people witless at a later date.
I arrived back into the UK just in time to move house so have been pretty much taken up with getting things organised around the place. Most importantly to dust off and de cobweb the old trusty size 13s, walking, for the use of.
That said I hope to start some form of training before the event. However as we know to our cost with any Hope Bob left town a long while ago and Slim just can't be relied on.
My main support at the moment is that there seems to be plenty of Positive Mental Attitude towards the walk. Most people, when I tell what I am hoping to achieve, soon adopt the attitude that I am positively mental.
I have studied the route, and have managed to convince myself that we are doing it the right way. Travelling North to South must surely make it downhill.
Anyway I would love to sit here drivelling on but sadly I have an opened bottle of Croft Original and a Harvey's Bristol Cream to neck before Match of the Day later.
Hope to see some of you during the walk - bloodshot eyes permitting.
Best foot forward
Dave

No comments: