Wednesday 25 April 2007

It's getting nearer !!!

Well ! Time is racing on, and the time to take positive action is almost upon us. The equipment is coming together nicely. There are the anti blister socks, the pedometer, MP3 with FM radio. All I need to do now is start some sort of training. Although I am still recovering from the exertions of the Carlton Scroop Ironman Triathlon - you know sack race, egg and spoon etc. which you will doubtless have seen and marvelled at.
One of my main hopes for the walk is to refresh my memory of what Martin looks like. For weeks now all I've seen is the back of his head as he sits hunched from dawn to dusk over the keyboard doing a wonderful job of pulling all the logistics together. I have suggested that next year we could do a bank raid - 10 minutes work, a lot less planning, and hopefully a substantial financial gain for charity.
Since I last wrote I have made one of my regular trips to the surgery and was initially thrilled when the doctor told me I had a top of the range BMI. That was news to me as I drive a Skoda, but that would sure be handy for the walk; a sleek piece of German engineering (perhaps only for the use on the uphill bits though) However I slumped a little when he explained the full implications of his words. Coupled to this my blood pressure (controlled by medication) had risen. So this really was the time for positive action, and the drive to lower both the figures faster than John Stalker could drop his roller shutters began. So this week I shall mainly be sucking lettuce leaves. Fortunately on Monday I leave for warmer climes, and prepare to undertake a bit of altitude training in Andalucia. This should stand me in good stead for the trek south across Lincolnshire. Must dash and sneak a quick Ryvita while noone's looking.
Best foot forward

No comments: